Combining different styles and cultures in meals is a great way to bring creativity to your diet. This is a fusion dish where Mediterranean-inspired hummus meets Latin quesadillas for a flavourful taste explosion your thats filling, delicious and healthy!
Here’s what you need…
1/4 cup red pepper hummus
10oz chicken breast raw
1 large Portobello mushroom cap, chopped
4 small 100-calorie multigrain tortillas
1 small avocado, sliced
4 tbsp goats cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
2 tbsp minced garlic
fresh cilantro to garnish
pico de gallo to garnish
coconut oil spray
1. Spray a nonstick skillet with coconut oil spray and set on medium-high heat.
2. Sear 1 tablespoon minced garlic in the skillet, then toss in chopped mushrooms. Sear and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring quickly with a spatula so that the mushroom does not completely wilt. Set aside in a separate bowl.
3. Sear 1 tablespoon minced garlic in the skillet, then toss in chicken breast. Cook the chicken for about 12-15 minutes or until the meat is white when cut and the juices run clear. Set aside in a separate bowl.
4. Thinly slice red onions, chop up fresh cilantro, and remove the pit from the avocado and cut into thin slices.
5. Spread about 2 tablespoons (1/8 cup) of red-pepper hummus on each wheat tortilla.
6. On one side of each tortilla, add half of the chopped chicken breast or half of sautéd mushrooms), a few red onion slices, 1 tablespoon goat cheese, 1/4 of an avocado, and fresh cilantro.
7. Fold the quesadilla in half.
8. Spray a nonstick skillet with coconut oil and set on medium heat. Allow the skillet to heat up.
9. Add the quesadilla to the skillet and cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Be sure to press down on the quesadilla using a spatula so that it flattens out.
10. Remove from the skillet and enjoy with fresh pico de gallo, greek yogurt or salsa.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 377 calories, 13g fat, 27g carbohydrate and 41g protein.