Reenergize with this clean, flavorful seafood dish. It’s easy to prepare, freezes well, and can be used to refuel after a hard workout.
Here’s what you need…
1-1/2 lbs. chicken breast
1-1/2 lbs. jumbo prawns, raw, peeled
2 tbsp coconut oil
4 cups short grain brown rice or arborio rice (cooked)
2 cups low-salt chicken broth
½ red onion, sliced
2 roma tomatoes, diced
2 frozen peas
1 lemon, juiced
1 tbsp garlic paste (or minced garlic)
1 tbsp smoked paprika
½ tbsp saffron threads
salt and pepper to taste
fresh parsley to garnish
1. Cook rice according to the instructions on the packet and set aside.
2. Chop raw chicken breast and prawns into small pieces.
3. Set a cast-iron skillet on medium-high heat and add 2 tbsp coconut oil. once it’s melted, add red onion and garlic paste. Stir with a wooden spoon and cook until the onion has browned.
4. Toss in raw, chopped chick breasts and cook until the chicken is 75% done. Don’t be alarmed if some parts of the chicken are still pink.
5. Toss in raw prawns and stir with wooden spoon or spatula. Cook until the prawns are about 75% cooked.
6. Add paprika and a pinch of sea salt and pepper. Stir.
7. Add in cooked rice and diced tomatoes. Stir and reduce heat to medium.
8. Pour in the chicken broth and add saffron. allow the contents to simmer, and gently stir.
9. Allow everything to cook for about three minutes. If you’d like to, add fresh lemon juice.
10. Add frozen peas and stir. Allow the paella to simmer for about five minutes, then garnish with the freshly chopped parsley.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 401 calories, 8g fat, 41g carbohydrate, 5g fiber and 41g protein.